Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother's Day/Mother's Lifetime

Here is my mom's mom-Grandma Burke.  I never had the chance to know her, but in a way I think I have known her through my mom.  Erma G. Burke died of breast cancer while my mom was a young mother.  She was a remarkable, fun-loving lady.  Growing up, my brothers and sister would try to convince me(lol!) I was adopted because I'm the only one with red hair.  I later learned that in fact, I was born into the Iverson family-and that my red hair came from Erma:)  Someday I will meet the woman who raised the amazing mother I call 'Mom'.

Erma and my mom.
My mom wrote the girls in our family this email yesterday:
"Hi Sweet Daughters, ...today I have been out shopping a bit and watched some mothers and daughters together. I got a bit sad, wondering if my Mommy still remembers me and loves me.  Then I immediately thought of you sweet girls and I want to reaffirm to you that I love you all and appreciate the FINE mothers you are and appreciate the kindness and love you show to me. Love, Mom (Kathy)"
The above email made me cry, and reminded me what a central role my own mom has played in my life-she has shown a lifetime of sacrifice and love.

I'm trying to pass that on to Maren.

Thankfully, I married into a lifetime of love and sacrifice as well-my wonderful 2nd mom, Barbara J. Hall.
This is her beautiful mother-Alberta T. Jensen.  Even in her last days of Alzheimer's, she was as sweet as can be.
Here is Barbara and Alberta.
To quote Victor Hugo:
“She broke the bread into two fragments and gave them to her children, who ate with eagerness. ‘She hath kept none for herself,’ grumbled the sergeant.
“‘Because she is not hungry,’ said a soldier.
“‘No,’ said the sergeant, ‘because she is a mother.’"

I think the sacrifices are great for mothers-but so are the benefits.

Happy Mother's day.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Oh, Nicole! What a beautiful tribute to Moms and daughters and legacies. I am honored to have a place in this list. I loved seeing my own Mom again in your photos. You are an incredible Mother, just like your Mom says. Miss you. Love you.
Happy Mother's Day!

Cami said...

Nicole, you almost made me cry and I'm not even in your family! But I do know you and your mom and I think you are both wonderful. It's fun catching up with you and seeing what you're up to.

brad said...

Great job Weez. Thanks for sharing. Love you guys.