We've all heard the song by Lonestar. Yesterday it popped into my mind around 3:44pm. Maren has had a stuffy nose and her naps during the day have been a little shorter b\c she wakes up stiffing, etc. Well, when she woke up yesterday, I decided to put a binkie back in, and rock her back to sleep, eventually laying her back into her crib. But after 15 min. of HER just looking up at me, then another hour and 30 min. of ME staring at her sleeping in my arms, I had fallen in love all over again. I hear around the time you send your children off to college, missions, etc, you want to be able to relive moments like these...
Also during that hour and 45 mins, I had some time to just THINK. Living here in a fast-paced city has made me feel the need to be fast paced as well. Like even walking around the grocery store, I'm like,"ok, what's next on my list? oh, I need to cruise down this isle and beat the old lady around this corner or I'll be stuck behind her for like 5 extra seconds!" lol. I think getting a lot of things done in my day is very rewarding, but not at the expense of missing out on cool moments, getting to help someone, making eye-contact with your cashier, etc.
Something else I thought about: What am I doing with the life God has given me? He gives me a new 13-14 hrs every time I open my eyes each morning.(actually longer, but my eyes AUTOMATICALLY close around 8:30pm-ask Andy). But do I do things during the day that are BEST? Not just good or better? Who knows, but one thing I do know is that this life is really actually short, and I am accountable to the Lord for what I do with it.
Carpe Diem
6 comments:
GREAT post!! Thanks for the reminder!!
That was a great post. The day flies by and you don't even really notice it.
Hey Nicole,
Do you have any idea when the schools around there let out for summer break?? A friend of mine & I were going to bring our boys out to Disneyland the first week in June & would like to beat the rush.
We got out flights for Jun 4th. I know it's going to be crazy busy, but we didn't want our kids to miss school so we are coming the day after our school gets out. We are flying into Long Beach at 7:30 & going straight to Disneyland. I would LOVE for you to meet us there. Do you live very far from Disneyland??
That is SO true. I too get caught up in the stuff I have to do that I think is so important. But in reality, nothing is more important than meaningful contact with one another. Thanks for the reality check. I didn't know you liked to race old people in the grocery store... very interesting.
I really appreciated your thoughts Nicole, what a great reminder!
Post a Comment