Tuesday, August 12, 2008

An Update

Yesterday I got back from my second "off-site" interview, and I thought it would be good to let you all know how things have been going. Baton Rouge was last Thursday, and although I was on four different planes in one day (two out and two back) it was good. They took me out to lunch and I had a muffellata sandwich (it's kind of italian, I don't know how else to explain it). Then I went through about three hours of interviews. Sadly, similar to the phone interviews, everyone asked why on earth I would want to move to Louisiana (our parents are saying the same thing). I would think that they wouldn't act like it was such a bad place but maybe there's something I'm missing? Anyways, then they took me around town. I saw the riverfront, LSU, and a few other sights. The streets are all lined with huge oak trees, it is extremely green, and the football is intense. The freeways are horrid however (super bumpy and only two lanes throughout all the city). Overall I enjoyed things, but I did enjoy coming home. They did make an offer, but it was less that I expected, and after benefits are considered it was less than the LA offer. Plus something nags me about why everyone was so in doubt about why I would want to move to Baton Rouge. It almost seems like they are hiding something about the area. Maybe I'm just paranoid.
Sunday, I flew out to LA. Before I flew out and after I went through security I realized that I had forgotten my dress shoes in the car. Nicole had dropped me off, but she didn't have her phone, and she couldn't make it back to get them to me. So When I got into LA I decided that I ought to buy some (I needed new ones anyways). So I tried to find a shoe place that was close since I didn't have the money for a cab ride. We found a few that were close, but none that were opened before my interview, so we found a Walmart that was about 3 miles away. I woke up an hour early and headed out at 6:00 am (I had to be ready at 8:00 am). Well, long story short, after an hour and a half walk and 10 minutes in the store, I had my new shoes, was sweating profusely and was only 5 minutes late when they picked me up. I was glad I got them because there is a dress code in their office and slacks and nice shoes are required.
After I got settled, they showed me their operations, well a few of them. They service over 5.3 million people and the scale of their systems is hugh compared to anything I had seen before. They seem like great people and they really enjoy what they do. I was able to meet with a few of the people that I would presumably work with and they seemed great. I had a ton of fun with them.
Finally, Rachel offered me a job working in her garage for a bit more than minimum wage. It is a bit less than the other two, but we would get to work in her garage.
We're supposed to get back to Baton Rouge tomorrow, but they are working on getting some added things in (moving expenses, etc) to spice up the offer, and we wanted to hear your take. Spend a second and take our survey for what you think we should do.

4 comments:

Trent and Steph said...

Hi Nicole, I found you on Addie's site. Congrats on the new little girl. She is so cute. Enjoy every minute you have with her. They grow up way to fast.

Jess said...

Congrats on the great job offers! Soo jealous that both your options are out of state. :) (one of these days I'll suck it up and stop whining. Not yet though.) Move to LA. It'll give us another excuse to vacation in southern CA.

Brett and Marianne said...

Follow the spirit! You'll be happy wherever you go...that's just how you guys are!

chicagosapps said...

Take the job that seeems to be the most interesting, offer the greatest room for growth, and the office where you feel most comfortable... and follow the inspiration of the Holy Ghost.

People thought we were crazy when we took a position out in Chicago, but we love it. I'm sure you'll love it where ever you end up going. Plus a few years down the line you might end up wanting to move or take a position somewhere else.

I'm from Texas. The south has many different great things about it, but it also has many challenges. You could say that about any place, but in the south it's closer to the surface. I think either you end up loving it or hate it. I think that is why people there are wondering why you'd choose there southern city. It's hard to tell from short visits which you'll be.

I also lived in LA and have a brother out there now. It too has many great things and most likely will offer you the room you need to grow in your career. It would be as exciting as Baton Rouge though :) But it would be cool to live in CA too.

Best of luck!